I have a weakness for muffins, with blueberry being my favorite. Since I’m on the road to veganism (it’s a long road, I heart cheese), I’m trying recipes every now and then that are completely vegan. First up, Vegan Lemon-Blueberry Muffins (mainly because they were on sale). I found a recipe that seemed interesting to try (you can find the original recipe HERE) and altered it to my liking.
The interesting thing about this recipe is that instead of eggs you’ll use apple-cider vinegar.
You read that right, apple-cider vinegar. Sounds like it would be disgusting right? The recipe seemed to have good reviews. But come one, it uses apple-cider vinegar and people are saying it’s good! I just knew the commenters on the original post didn’t know what they were talking about, they must have not used it, it would be too much of a distinct flavor to add to something like muffins. I had to try these.
If you ever made blueberry pancakes or muffins, I think it’s always good to add lemon zest. But this go around I added the juice of half a lemon as well. I first learned about adding lemon juice to a pancake recipe from a chef at Maggiano’s. I thought for sure it would have an overpowering taste of lemon, but I was surprisingly wrong. For this vegan blueberry muffin recipe, it balanced out great and wasn’t an overpowering taste of citrus. And to reference back to the apple-cider vinegar, you couldn’t taste that either. Mind you, you only put a tablespoon in the recipe.
The texture is light and fluffy, sweet but not too sweet. The muffins were gone in a couple of days. I have to admit, I ate about 5 the first day. I baked them in a small muffin pan though, so don’t judge. 😉
But see for yourself, try these Vegan Lemon-Blueberry Muffins and tell me what you think below!
If you like this recipe, you may like 150 Vegetarian Recipes!
Serves 1 muffin
10 minPrep Time
22 minCook Time
32 minTotal Time
- 2 Cups of Unbleached Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of salt (I use sea salt)
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 1 Cup of Rice Milk
- 1/3 cup of Canola Oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoon of Apple-Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/2 Cups of Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 375, grease muffin pan
- Mix flour, baking, salt and lemon zest. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, oil, milk, lemon juice, vanilla extract, apple-cider vinegar and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Fold in blueberries.
- fill greased muffin pan 2/3 full
- Bake for 20-22 minutes (or check with toothpick until it comes out clean).
- Cool in pan for a few minutes, then transfer to metal rack to finish cooling.
You can use any milk alternative, however, it will change the taste of the muffins. If you use a larger muffin pan, adjust the time for longer than 22 minutes (or until tooth pick comes out clean)