Road trips can be extremely fun and tiring at the same time. But sometimes the best way to travel is by car. The worst thing that can happen when you’re on a trip id forgetting something. Its…the…worst. During all my travels I feel like I learn a way to make a future trip better from needing something on a trip that I forgot or just something that I needed that I didn’t think of. If you’re here, then you’re probably trying to not be in that same boat that I once was in. No worries, I’m here for you! Here is a road trip packing list that has all the car essentials everyone needs on a road trip.
Road Trip Packing List: The Car Essentials Everyone Needs On The Road
Don’t assume that every place you go on your road trip will have what you need. Especially bathrooms. Take note as these road trip packing essentials may be just that. Essential.
- Toilet paper (a 4-pack)
- Paper Towels (1-2 rolls depending on your length)
- Tissue (like that travel packs)
Being on the road can get uncomfortable being in the same spot for so long. Make it a more comfortable & cozy with these road trip must haves.
- Small blanket (for everyone)
- Neck Pillow (everyone)
- Flip-flops (everyone)
- Warm sweater (everyone; in case someone likes the AC colder than you do)
- Compression Socks (if you have poor circulation)
People use to travel without phones and GPS. Let that sink in. The had to read maps and figure out their course all the while driving. Luckily we have the accessibility to electronic maps, GPS, and the ability to call if you need something. Just don’t forget to power up and have a back-up plan in you don’t have service. Of course you need your phone for photos and social media too. If you don’t share, did you even go? 😉
- Audio books
- GPS (if you don’t want to use your phone or if your car doesn’t have one built-in)
- Power pack
- Chargers + back up as they’re expensive at the gas stations
- Batteries for your battery operated devices/cameras
You should add a travel size first aid kit to your road trip packing list that consist of;
- Bandages, various shapes and sizes
- Antibiotic Ointment
- Sterile Dressings
- Insect bite treatment/repellent
- Hand Sanitizer
Food To Take
Of course you need food while you road trip. I mean is it even a road trip without snacks? It would be a good idea to take a small cooler with you or buy a disposable one if you’re flying into a destination before you begin your road trip. Here are some ideas of food to bring with you.
- Fresh fruit; like oranges, apples, bananas
- Veggies; like the small packets you can find in the fresh food section
- Single dressing packets
- Ready made salad bowls
- Fruit snacks or fruit leather
- Granola Bars
- Your favorite candy
- Peanut Butter & Jelly
- Lunch meat
- Cheese/cheese sticks
For The Car
It would be good to have a few items in case you get stuck in a rut and help either can’t come to help or is taking too long. I’d suggest getting AAA or having roadside assistance apart of your car insurance plan. Either way, it’s good to be ready for the “just in case”.
- Car battery charger; you can get compact ones on Amazon, Walmart or auto store.
- Tire Inflator
- Tire gauge
- Extra bottle of oil
- small gas can
- small car vacuum (this will especially come in handy if you have a rental. We have one that’s small and will fit in my luggage.
- You may also want to bring small trash bags or save the plastic bags from the store (which is what I do).
I’ve traveled enough by car to know what are must haves when you’re on the road. What may seem like a lot will actually come in handy. Especially when traveling with kids in tow. The less you stop the better.
If you feel like I need to add something to this list, let me know in a comment below and I’ll add it.
If you liked this post about road trip packing list, then you may like:
- Tips to Plan a Vacation
- Walt Disney World Tips for First-Timers
- 10 Non-Medicating Items to Take While You Travel
Like this post? Pin for later