I was at a loss when I first began making more vegan and vegetarian food. I had used eggs and cows milk in recipes for so ling that I couldn’t wrap my head around not using those items in food. When I experimented with creating a cornbread recipe, I wasn’t disappointed. This vegan cornbread recipe will have you questioning why you used all those unnecessary ingredients all this time. This recipe is perfect for those with an egg allergy too. It sets up nice, not dry and the prefect item to accompany a bowl of vegan chili.
Easy Sweet Buttermilk Vegan Cornbread Ingredients
- Ground Flax Seed
- Non-Dairy Milk
- Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
The vegan cornbread recipe is easy and quick to assemble. But before you throw everything in a bowl to combine you’ll need to make your vegan buttermilk and flax egg. It’s quite simple really. Add vinegar to the non-dairy milk and let sit for about 5 minutes. Same goes for the flax eggs.
Making Flax Egg
Add flax eggs and water and let sit until it thickens. The flax eggs acts as a normal egg in this recipe.
How to Make Easy Skillet Buttermilk Vegan Cornbread
Allow the flax egg thickens and your vegan buttermilk to sit for a few minutes. Then, all you have to do is combine all the ingredients together until well combined. Remove the cast iron skillet from the oven and pour the batter in the skillet. Place back in oven and let bake for about 25 minutes. Easy, right?
Like I mentioned in the beginning of this post; this totally pairs well with this Pressure Cooker Vegan Chili Make with Lentils and Beans. It was delicious. My family totally devoured it!
This vegan cornbread can also be paired with some greens, fried okra and green tomatoes. I think I know what I want to make next Sunday for dinner now (insert drool).
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 Cup of Non-Dairy Milk (I used Rice Milk)
- 1 Tbs Vinegar
- 1 Tbs Flax Ground Seed
- 3 Tbs Water
- 1 Cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 2/3 Cup Organic Sugar
- 3 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/3 Cup Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place cast iron skillet in oven
- Vegan Buttermilk
- Add non-dairy milk and tablespoon of vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes
- Flax Eggs
- Combine ground flax seeds and water. Let sit until it thickens (about 5 minutes)
- Combine all ingredients and stir until combined in mixing bowl. Remove skillet from oven and add cornbread mixture to skillet.
- Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to cool
Other vegan recipes you may like