When we were in Colorado, we ate at City O’ City, a great vegetarian restaurant in the heart of Denver (you can read my review HERE). I ate a buffalo wrap made with seitan. I felt like I could definitely recreate the wrap with cauliflower.
So I did. And it was wonderful. This was a quick meal that I’ve already made again. You get a full feeling off just 1/2 of the wrap without too much heaviness afterward.
Simple really, I just seasoned them as I would if I was frying chicken. I dipped the cauliflower pieces in my flour/cornmeal mixture, dropped them in an egg and buttermilk mixture and back to the flour/cornmeal before dropping them in a hot fryer.
With my milk/egg mixture, I typically throw some buffalo sauce in it. I always have done that, even when I ate chicken.
For the flour mixture, I add salt, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper. You really have to play with it to make it your own. I’m notorious for eyeballing and using my sense of smell to know when my seasoning is “right”.
You only have to fry them until they are lightly brown, I could fit the head of cauliflower I bought all at once. Once down, remove and place on a rack to drain additional oil. At this point I put them in a bowl and covered them with the buffalo sauce.
I used the big tortilla, just warming them in the microwave. Cut some pieces of lettuce and tomatoes, slabbed on some mayonnaise on the tortilla. I added just a few pieces of the cauliflower, along with the lettuce, tomato and sprinkled it with cheese and rolled it up.
Simple, easy and good! A great take on the buffalo wrap that you may have had before minus the meat. Again, I loved it! You should definitely try this simple, easy meal that the whole family will love.
- Corn Meal
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Chili Powder
- Large Flour Tortillas
- Head of Cauliflower (cut into pieces)
- Lettuce (cut)
- Tomatoes (chopped)
- Buffalo Sauce
- Oil (for frying)
- Heat oil
- Mix milk, egg and 2 tablespoons of buffalo sauce, add cut cauliflower
- Add at least 1 cup of flour, 1/2 a cup of corn meal, onion, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper, mix.
- Remove cauliflower from milk mixture and cover in flour mixture.
- Fry cauliflower in oil for 5-10 minutes, or until brown
- Remove from oil, let cool for a few minutes
- place cauliflower in bowl and toss in buffalo sauce
- take a warm tortilla, place mayo on it. Add lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and cauliflower.
- Roll, cut in half and enjoy!